Wednesday, April 25, 2007

How far we have come (or not)

http://www.slate.com/id/2164062/nav/tap1/

If you follow the above link you will be treated to (horrified by) a slide show visual history of rascist advertising over the years. Some are so outrageous that it is hard to imagine the years when such ads were actually used by companies but others...exist today or existed during our lifetimes. (Except for some of you who make be young enough not to remember the 70/80's - for you guys piss off!)

Recognize "Uncle Ben" or "Aunt Jemima" anyone? They have each been family members of mine since my childhood so I didn't happen to notice their not-so-subtle image transformations over the past few decades. Funnt how things like this can go unnoticed.

Also, I grew up with a "Golliwog" doll that I cherished and lovingly referred to as "Garth" and when I recognized him here in this context I almost died. Thank goodness he was not one of the childhood relics that I passed down to my children...I don't know whatever happened to him. Maybe he took off one day with my talking Jimmy Walker pull string doll that said
"Dy-no-mite" ?? (Look it up, young-ens)

Interesting stuff.

1 Comments:

Blogger sweet adeline said...

Pretty sad.

We're not the only country with such problems. Check this out:

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSSP32758320070423

4/25/2007 5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home